Friday 29 June 2012

Level One Piano testing



My kids have just completed their Level One Piano test.  I don't know if this is the procedure in the US however here in England there are required scales and music pieces that the children had to learn.  Then they went before the ABRSM certified instructor and underwent testing.



Outside the music store where the test was held --  Princess chose to play Gavotta by James Hook, A Tender Flower by Felix Swinstead and Vampire Blues by Kevin Wooding

Holding their Level One music book -- Little Man chose to play Andante by Joseph Haydn, A Story from Long Ago by Martha Mier and Vampire Blues by Kevin Wooding







The examination room...I think I was more nervous than the children

ABRSM means Associated Board Royal Society of Music
Before testing each child was given fifteen minutes to warm up and practice their pieces.

Exiting the exam room...Mom was not allowed in so I had to wait anxiously outside listening thru the door to their musical pieces.
Now we have to wait two weeks for the results and move on to begin level 2 skills

Addendum:  Just heard today that both kids passed the test just 3 points away from a distinction mark!

5 comments:

  1. So what happens if a child doesn't pass the test? What is to prevent them from studying Level 2 on their own? I guess I don't understand why there has to be testing???? I could see if the particular school they were studying at offered testing, but to make kids take a test, no matter who they are studying with, seems very bureaucratic .... For instance, before my little miss was born, I had been teaching myself to play piano and was just going through some self-study books. Would there be some piano police who would come stop me from working on a level 2 book before I had taken the level 1 test? Or is this more of a prestige thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is wonderful. How fun to have your children learning the piano. I think it is the one instument that will bless their lives forever.
    Loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen nice post thanks for sharing looking for to visit more..blessings from arnhem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big congratulations to them!!

    ReplyDelete